Since we launched the Litter Partnership in Winchester a few weeks ago, we have received remarkable support from our community. Businesses, schools, MPs and local people have all rallied to support our efforts to ‘keep Winchester beautiful’. Let’s hope it’s just the start!
Here are the highlights:
- Louis Rogers, manager of the Rick Stein restaurant in Winchester has agreed to provide at least four of his staff to help with our regular Saturday morning litter-picks on 2 April, 4 May and 30 May.
- Alex Willumsen, community engagement and education officer at Southern Water, has also offered employee volunteer days.
- Flick Drummond, MP for Meon Valley, will be joining our Saturday litter-pick on 4 May.
- Steve Brine, MP for Winchester, will do the same on another date (tbc).
- The Pilgrims’ School has agreed to arrange a series of litter-picking activities for its children and parents.
- The Rotary Club of Winchester has offered financial support.
- The Winchester Business Improvement District has agreed to spread the word amongst its businesses.
- Alison Norman of Everyone Active, which will manage Winchester’s new leisure centre, is considering including ’LitterFit’ in its schedule for the new centre.
- Individuals are also rising to the challenge. With the help of idverde, the Heath family of Cherition cleaned a road into their village on 15 March. Meanwhile, Robert Carter, managing director of house builder Millgate Winchester, has agreed to ‘adopt’ a stretch of the South Downs Way near Chilcomb Down.
If you would like get involved, please email us at hello@thelitterpartnership.
org. We are open to all ideas and look forward to hearing from you.